Lyra is seeking an entrepreneurial and strategic Manager to lead our VSLA programme in Tanzania.
Job Description: Lyra VSLA Manager
Job Purpose: To lead and develop Lyra’s Village Savings and Loans Associations and entrepreneurship programme in order to foster innovation and higher incomes among VSLAs.
Job Location: Lyra Office, Iringa Town. With regular travel to rural areas of Kilolo, Iringa Rural and Mufindi Districts.
Reporting: Day-to-day line management: reports to Lyra in-country MD. The VSLA Manager will line manage two Field Officers based in Iringa. Also work collaboratively with the UK team in programme strategy and fundraising.
1. Support and monitor the performance and growth of VSLAs (currently 141 groups), including:
· Manage MIS data through regular review of data quality, key findings, and training colleagues in MIS data collection and management
· Conduct regular site visits to provide technical support, identify challenges and training needs, and programme learning. Guide field officers to conduct productive site visits and report monthly effectively on the findings.
· Mobilise and support CBTs to create new VSLA groups, provide effective technical support to groups in VSLA methodology, and create linkages with relevant local organisations including financial institutions, commercial agriculture and poultry, etc.
· Ensure effective linkage with Lyra’s education programme e.g. ensuring that parents of students studying at schools where Lyra has built girls’ hostels, are encouraged to join VSLAs, and that girls leaving these schools are also encouraged to join. Promoting the link with a vision of VSLAs providing some material and financial support to help sustain the hostels.
2. Manage the entrepreneurship training programme:
· Work together with the VSLAs in a collaborative and empowering way to identify training needs, and facilitate the groups to develop plans and goals for individual and group businesses
· Liaise with RLabs and other external trainers to provide training to groups
· Identify new quality training providers and partners who would be suitable for providing training and advice to the groups
· Provide monthly written feedback on the training and the progress made by the groups
3. Contribute towards fundraising to support the VSLA / Entrepreneurship programme:
· Providing high quality case studies, quotes and photographs to support fundraising for the programme
· Develop strategic partnerships with relevant funders and partners within Tanzania, and represent Lyra at high level meetings
· With the support of the wider Lyra team, develop ideas for revenue streams to make the VSLA programme self-sustaining
· Create high quality reports for donors and supporters
· Extensive knowledge of VSLA methodology, and excellent track record for training and supporting at least 100 groups over 5 years
· Excellent spoken and written English
· Ability to analyse and interpret impact and financial data, and present the most relevant and important key findings to stakeholders
· Ability to understand and contribute to the strategic vision for VSLA development
· Ability to identify quality partners and linkages and work effectively with them to leverage the impact of the programme
· Ability to represent Lyra’s work professionally at high level forums including government, NGO and donor
· A deep commitment and belief in a positive community empowerment process which recognises and values community assets
· Ability to communicate regularly and openly with stakeholders and potential funding partners,
· Ability to communicate regularly and openly with the wider Lyra team in Tanzania and the UK, to share progress, insights, challenges and recommendations
· Self-directed and self-motivated; able to organise and deliver your own work with minimal supervision
· University degree
· Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint
· Track record in entrepreneurship and innovation training: evidence of unlocking VSLA potential, facilitating problem solving, and helping groups develop sound business plans
· Experience of innovative agriculture projects
· Experience of developing revenue streams for charities / social enterprises
· Experience of managing and reporting on donor grants
Please send a brief CV (maximum 3 pages) and covering letter (maximum 500 words) explaining why you would like the job and why you would be the best candidate, referring to the job description and person specification, with real examples from your work.
Send by email to email@example.com by 20thJuly. Interviews will be held in Dar es Salaam and Iringa in late July / early August.